Stan Hieronymus is my guest this week, and we’re talking about the resurgence of the Grodziskie beer style from Poland made from oak smoked wheat malt. This style was nearly lost to us, and out of production in the mid 20’th century, but home brewers and craft breweries have brought this style back to life.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (45:53)
- Stan Heironymus joins me to discuss the “lost” style of Grodziskie from Poland. Stan is the author of For the Love of Hops as well as Brew Like a Monk (Full disclosure: Amazon affiliate links), both excellent books. Stan also runs a blog on beer at AppelationBeer.com.
- Stan provided this link about Grodziskie - it links to a PDF file if you want to learn more.
- Stan starts with a description of Grodziskie, a beer built around smoked wheat malt from Poland, and some of its history.
- We talk about the beer itself and what it tastes like. Its a low gravity smoked beer, with moderate hop levels.
- Stan describes how this style has been added to the GABF style guide and will soon be added to the BJCP style guide as well.
- We discuss some of the challenges associated with creating a style like Grodziskie that has no commercial example today.
- Stan talks about brewing a Grodziskie – which is made from all oak smoked wheat.
- We talk about hops and yeast to be used, including the challenge of finding authentic yeast strains.
- Stan explains why clarity is important and how to ferment and age it properly.
- Stan describes the perfect Grodziskie.
- We talk about variations of the style and his closing thoughts.
- Stan provides a few words about some of his latest projects
Thanks to Stan Hieronymus for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
I would like to thank our new sponsor Critter Cutter, makers of an amazing tool for opening boxes and bottles. Get yours today!
Subscribe to the Podcast
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station!
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now