Randy Mosher just published his new book Mastering Homebrew which I believe will soon become a home brewing classic. This week I join Randy to talk about his new book which covers a huge number of beer brewing techniques, ingredients, and focuses on the flavor of beer instead of just the technical aspects.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (51:19)
- My guest this week is Randy Mosher, who just published his new book Mastering Homebrew (Amazon affiliate link). Mastering Homebrew is an comprehensive book on beer brewing that focuses on not only the technical aspects of brewing but also the creative and flavor aspects of brewing great beer. I’m a big fan of this book, and believe it is one of the most important brewing books to come out in the last few years. Randy is also the author of Radical Brewing and Tasting Beer.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine who is still offering a 15% discount with your subscription or other items when you use the new offer code beersmith2015 when you purchase.
- Also thanks to our new sponsor BREWHA brewing equipment. Please check out their new innovative brewing setups that let you make better beer quickly.
- Also check out BeerSmith Mobile software and , the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are available now.
- Randy starts with an overview of his new book – which is really comprehensive in scope and useful for everyone from beginner to expert.
- We discuss the concept of “using both sides of your brain to brew beer”.
- Randy explains why both measurables and intangibles are important to making beer, as well as his “flavor” approach to building beer recipes.
- We talk about ingredients – with a heavy focus on understanding the flavor of various malts and other ingredients.
- Randy also covers many technical aspects of brewing in the book – we discuss a few.
- We talk about brewing equipment and Randy shares a few examples.
- We talk about the Art and Science of achieving a particular flavor for your finished beer
- Randy shares some of the tools of the brewers art.
- We discuss his chapters on beer styles and recipes including examples for both extract and all grain brewers
- Randy provides some tips on troubleshooting your beer
- We finish with a discussion about what’s different about this book.
- I strongly recommend this book – you can buy it from Amazon (and support BeerSmith a bit) by using this link: Mastering Homebrew
Thanks to Randy Mosher for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all 81 audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Tasting Beer with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #89
- Beer Brewing Q&A with John Palmer and Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #100
- Malted Grains for Beer Brewing with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #81
- Mastering Homebrew 90 Second Book Review – Beer Brewing Quick Tip
- Sensory Evaluation of Beer with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #146
- Mastering Homebrew by Randy Mosher – A Book Review
- Historical Beer Myths with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #115
- Designing Beer with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast 30
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now