Chris Graham, the President of MoreBeer joins me this week to discuss brewing the perfect Bohemian Pilsner. Bohemian Pilsners are one of the more challenging lagers to brew, but Chris provides some great tips to get started with this great beer style.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (43:15)
- My guest this week is Chris Graham who is the President of MoreBeer – a major home brewing equipment provider. Chris is also a former AHA governing committee member, former Brewer’s Association board member and long time brewer.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine who is still offering a 15% discount with your subscription or other items when you use the new offer code beersmith2015 when you purchase.
- Also thanks to our new sponsor BREWHA brewing equipment. Please check out their new innovative brewing setups that let you make better beer quickly.
- Also check out BeerSmith Mobile software and the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are available now.
- Chris shares some of the new things going on at MoreBeer
- We discuss the Bohemian Pilsner beer style as well as a bit of the history of this style
- Chris tells us why Bohemian Pilsner is a tough beer to brew for beginning brewers, and why it requires a bit of experience.
- We talk about the grain bill, the importance of using Pilsner malt and also why all grain can produce a lighter Pilsner than extract.
- Chris talks about the mash profile for a Bohemian Pilsner including the traditional decoction mash.
- We discuss why Saaz hops is the traditional choice for this beer style.
- Chris explains his preference for yeast, as well as his preferred fermentation profile for this beer.
- We talk about why its important to pitch plenty of yeast with a lager.
- We discuss common flaws in this style of beer
- Chris provides his closing advice on brewing the perfect Bohemian Pilsner
- We finish with a short discussion of some of MoreBeer’s new projects
Thanks to Chris Graham for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all 81 audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Kegging your Home Brewed Beer with Chris Graham- BeerSmith Podcast #79
- Chilling Your Wort with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #107
- Beer Fermentation with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #91
- All Grain Beer Brewing Equipment with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #140
- Brewing on a Budget with Chris Graham – BSHB Podcast 19
- All Grain Beer Brewing with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #63
- Czech Lagers with Chris Lohring – BeerSmith Podcast #113
- Yeast with Dr Chris White from White Labs – BeerSmith Podcast #86
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now