Stan Hieronymus joins me this week to discuss his new book “Brewing Local – American Grown Beer” which includes a history of brewing distinctly American beers with local ingredients. Join us for this great episode!
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (47:47)
- Today my guest is Stan Hieronymus. Stan joins us to discuss his new book Brewing Local – American Grown Beer (Amazon affiliate link). Stan is also author of For the Love of Hops, Brew Like a Monk and Brewing with Wheat (Amazon affiliate links).
- We start with a short overview of Stan’s new book “Brewing Local – American Grown Beer”.
- Stan explains how for much of history local ingredients were used and beer was brewed locally or even home brewed.
- We discuss his use of the term “local” beer and how that term has changed over time
- Stan explains why European settlers were not the first beer brewers and in fact native Indians in the Southwest brewed beer from corn.
- We talk about what some Indian beers were like as well as how they created low alcohol ceremonial beers from corn.
- Stan talks about the beers that European settlers brewed when they first arrived.
- We discuss some distinctly American beer styles that emerged over time including a few that survive to this day.
- Stan explains how corn made its entry again into beer brewing in the late 1800’s in the US.
- We talk about the local cultivation of barley, hops, wheat, and corn that were grown in many areas and used across the US.
- Stan talks about some native ingredients outside of the traditional four ingredients including herbs and other plants.
- We discuss how some small craft breweries have experimented with introducing these ingredients in their beers.
- Stan briefly mentions the resurgence of small craft malt houses and hop growers that are beginning to pop up again here in the US.
- We discuss how craft and home brewing have started to come full circle – again reflecting locally grown barley, hops and other ingredients.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine for sponsoring this episode. I encourage you to subscribe to their great magazine!
- And also Anvil Brewing Equipment. Anvil is a new line of kettles, burners and accessories from John Blichmann at Blichmann Engineering. They make top quality brewing equipment built to last a lifetime.
- Also check out BeerSmith, BeerSmith Mobile software and the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are available now. You can subscribe to the BeerSmith newsletter for free to get some great articles on home brewing.
Thanks to Stan Hieronymus for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
- Audio podcast on Google Play here
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Brewing Beer Around the World with Stan Hieronymus – BeerSmith Podcast #83
- Beer Styles with Stan Hieronymus – BeerSmith Podcast #106
- Trends in Hops and Beer Brewing with Stan Hieronymus – BeerSmith Podcast #125
- Sour Beer Brewing with Michael Tonsmeire – BeerSmith Podcast #85
- Grodziskie Beer from Poland with Stan Hieronymus – BeerSmith Podcast #73
- For the Love of Hops with Stan Hieronymus – BeerSmith Podcast #52
- Jays Brewing with Thomas Boman – BeerSmith Podcast #126
- Brewing Like a Monk with Stan Hieronymous – BeerSmith Podcast 37
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now