• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 2.0

Yes,
  I will likely post the call for testers in the Help in Development section once we are ready.

Brad

dracus said:
Well, I'd be more than happy to give you another 20 something bucks... I love beersmith and I know 2.0 will be even better.

+100000000000000000000

This software has worked wonders for me and my brewing.  Thank you Brad.

Do you have a list of upcoming changes for the new version?  I know there's been a lot of things floated in the forums and stuff you said you liked and such, but do we have to wait until 2.0 to see if our favorite new feature is being implemented?  If we knew ahead of time, we could try to bribe you with beer to get something in (or offer to help in some other way. ;-)

Brad,

I appreciate your work on BeerSmith and your communication on these forums; it's very cool.

As the OP of the thread was looking for, any idea on when to expect 2.0?

I've recently downloaded 1.4 and enjoy the software and the tools it provides, but as many people, am a bit hesitant to buy given the notion that we could be seeing 2.0 sometime early Summer in just a few months.

Could you provide an update on development?

Thank you!

-Sean

Sean,
 Right now I'm looking at late this fall - ideally before Christmas.  There is still some hard work to be done but I'm planning to take a significant chunk of time off soon to dedicate full time to the final push.

If you are interested in following the release I recommend subscribing to our blog.  I will be posting details as we get closer to release.

VR
Brad

Brad,

Thanks for the quick reply.

With the release of 2.0, will there be any type of discount available to those who have purchased 2.0? Also, how will the integration with recipes designed and updated databases and such work with upgrading from 1.4 to 2.0?

Thanks!

For those out there concerned about buying the current version and then the new version coming out soon after, relax. Just buy the current version, get used to it and then buy the new version when it comes out. It is well worth even if the new version came out 3 days later. This software is priced WELL below it true value. I actually can not believe these developers price these programs at the pricepoint they do. Hell, I spent $125.00 to fix an old PC laptop JUST so I could keep using this program after I bought Macs for the house. I will buy the Mac version the day it is released (or I find out it is available) at full price without complaint (although a discount would be appreciated) and take it and run. This product IS that important to your brewing. I have said before, I have bought every commercial brewing software product available out there and have been disappointed in one way or another with each. Not so here. As I said, this is one of my most valued and important pieces of brewing equipment.

I'm very likely going to offer a discount for a limited time for existing users once the new version comes out.  We'll be posting additional details on our newsletter as we get into testing and closer to release.  I'm taking a significant chunk of time off later in the year to focus full time on the release.

Cheers,
Brad

The Mac version is awesome.  I can finally dump the windows partition which exists only to run BeerSmith.  Hopefully the Mac version will be able to import my Windows generated recipes.  I'll definitely beta the mac version for you, hell, I'll buy the mac beta version.

BeerSmith said:
I'm very likely going to offer a discount for a limited time for existing users once the new version comes out.   We'll be posting additional details on our newsletter as we get into testing and closer to release.  I'm taking a significant chunk of time off later in the year to focus full time on the release.

Cheers,
Brad

Ok sounds great. I'll be buying the software when I get home from work this evening.

Thanks for the update Brad, much appreciated!

Can't wait for the next rev of Beersmith.  Any teasers for the new version yet?  :)

Just wanted to put in $.02 on the new version.  I too *will* be buying Beersmith, but I dont want to waste money buying it twice.  Seems like a bad idea to buy v1.4 now.  :(  I've love to buy 2.0 with downgrade rights....  ;D

BeerSmith said:
I'm thinking of having an upgrade discount price for existing users.  To do it I will need to build some kind of verification method to validate your old registration key.

Brad

Do you have records from online purchases? I purchased mine back in 05, still running ver 1.3. I hate paying for something with an upgrade promise, but then change it to include, oh by the way, you need to pay $XX.XX for an upgrade. Makes customer loyalty almost ziltch......

I intend to offer a discount for existing users who want to upgrade, and I do have records for all existing users who purchased through our site.

My goal is to have V2.0 released by the end of the year, but it will depend on how the testing goes.  I'm working on it full time about 4 days a week now to finish.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
I intend to offer a discount for existing users who want to upgrade, and I do have records for all existing users who purchased through our site.

My goal is to have V2.0 released by the end of the year, but it will depend on how the testing goes.  I'm working on it full time about 4 days a week now to finish.

Brad

normally i wouldnt pay for upgrades to existing software that i already payed for once, but i highly doubt there will be a big outrage from the brewing community; you're working solo & full time on this, and id gladly pay a little more for the upgrade in lue of all your dedication!

BeerSmith said:
My goal is to have V2.0 released by the end of the year

Perhaps at some point you can offer a deal to allow a free upgrade to 2.0 for new 1.4 purchasers (or a "get 1.4 with a 2.0 pre-buy..). That would certainly get me off the fence since with my tight family budget I cannot buy the software twice, even with an upgrade discount, in the same year.

Regards,

Chris

Brad,

If you need anymore Beta testers please let me know. I am running 1.4 that was a gift, waiting for 2.0 before I mount a PC on my RIM system.

Any hints as to the feature set that the new version will offer?

Been meaning to ask you forever to include an option to show both °F and °C instead of one or the other.  Seems I have a Celsius thermometer for mashing and Farhenheit on all of my other stuff.  Being able to see both on the brewsheets would be awesome.

I work in Software QA if you need any QA help.

- jomebrew

Back