• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What are you brewing next? ...official brewing log thread

I'm doing an all grain pilsner - my second brew so a big step up.  2 row Breiss Pilsner malt, tettnang and saaz hops.  I'm doing a single infusion and using Pilsner lager yeast.  I've adjusted the malt quantity and hops quantities to target the middle of the style profile (playing it safe  ;)).

OK - here are the lessons leared from my second brew/first all grain brew:
1. A 5 gallon igloo would work better for 5 gallon batches than a 10 gallon
2. A hot water tank would be handy to have (now I now what to use the 10 gallon igloo for ;D)
3. Buy 10 bs of grain for a 5 gallon batch instead of 8.5 and plan to make 7.5-8 gallons of wort instead of 6 for a 5 gallon beer batch - you lose more than you think
4. Have plenty of paper towels on hand  ;)

I'm sure I'll think of a few other things after I think about it over the next couple of days.

Finally taking the plunge.  I have all my equipment.  Moving up to all grain brewing for the first time this weekend.  Going to try a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone.  Love the beer hope all goes well with the process.  What could possibly go wrong :)

Just finished maturation on a crooked tree i.p.a. clone-(all grain) turned out great!
March 31rst Brewed an american amber ale(all grain)-still in fermentation. plan on dry hoppin this one with 1oz cascade.
plan on doing a bavarian heifiewiezen next along the lines of a pauliener clone(all grain).
Fun Fun Fun!!!! love to brew! thanks to beersmith for helping to make it alot easier. and everyone on this blog, a ton of great information here!!

Going for a Black Butte Clone tomorrow by myself. Then a Pale on Sunday with my neighbor. Need to stock up, running low. Starting to get scared I might have to purchase to tide me over. 

Hefeweizen, tomorrow.  Trying to slam one ready for our May 14th competition.  No whirlflock, no secondary, just ferment and bottle. 

Pretty much using grains on hand to get it done. 

Attachments

• 15A.bsm
    4 KB · Views: 4
American pale ale - I'm using the Sierra Ale recipe from Brewsmith.  I'm planning on brewing it this weekend.

I worked with a local brewer to clone his award winning Hops on Rye.  This wil be my first double IPA (intentional) and first use of Rye. I have been doing a lot of "research" just to be sure I understand the beer  ;D 

Going to try a Bass Ale clone to get my wife involved (it's her favorite).  If I can get her hooked, then the sky's the limit for equipment.  ;)

I brewed up a batch of blonde ale a few weeks ago to take to a friend's party next Saturday.  I tried a bottle last night and it was awesome. :)

Attachments

• 241309_2113810644295_1216542970_32573796_6059_o.jpg
    241309_2113810644295_1216542970_32573796_6059_o.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 310132611.jpg
    310132611.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 259123_2114475300911_1216542970_32574924_5277687_o.jpg
    259123_2114475300911_1216542970_32574924_5277687_o.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2
Just transferred a Belgian Witbier to the secondary.  1/2 pale, 1/2 wheat, not enough rice hulls......it was a long sparge.  Note to self and anyone else that cares, 1lb rice hulls to 5lbs wheat was not enough rice hulls.

It's looking good, though, and tasted good going into secondary so I think I have another good one.

Ever try conditioning the grains the night before?  Essentially means spritzing the grain with clean water a few times.  Helps even with wheat. 

But with barley, it makes the husk twist off cleanly rather than getting crushed to shreds.  Much better filter bed results. 

I just did a lawnmower ale with 20% wheat, 10% rye, and some flaked rye, and used no rice hulls.  78% efficiency, no sparging issues.

See photo - the left cup was sprayed the night before crushing/brewing.

Attachments

• graincomp.jpg
    graincomp.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks, I'll definitely try that (if I remember the night before brewing)
This Witbier was also the first time with my Barley Crusher and new brew tower, so I have a few bugs to work out.

3 Brews over the next few weeks:

1) A Steam beer using a recipe from Ken Lenard's website, Mayfair Court Brewing  (Thanks Ken) called Barrelhouse West Coast Lager (www.kenlenard.webs.com/recipes.htm)
2) An Octoberfest-style lager using german munich and german vienna for the base malts. 
3) Another Ken Lenard recipe called Brauhaus Original Helles Lager (thanks again Ken)

Good Brewing,
Monge

Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - a kit beer I got some time ago that I'm kicking up a notch.

Back