• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What are you brewing next? ...official brewing log thread

I have an Irish Red Ale in the primary in preparation for 2010 Michigan Renaissance Festival Competition. I don't have a lot of experience at Competitions so I hope it goes well.

Getting ready to try my first all grain oktoberfest next weekend, then I going to repeat the roboust porter I made last fall. It was my first beer using beersmith, and my best  brew yet.

Rumbarrel Strong Ale
Strong Scotch Ale

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 42.55 %
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 42.55 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.51 %
0.75 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.19 %
0.75 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3.19 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
3.00 items Used rum barrel oak spirals (Primary)
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) Yeast-Ale

O.G. 1.140

Just did this

Victoria-Export

Ingredients
4,20 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3,3 EBC) Grain 92,56 %
0,20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3,9 EBC) Grain 4,32 %
0,14 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3,5 EBC) Grain 3,12 %
8,00 gm Herkules [17,00 %] (60 min) Hops 15,7 IBU
8,00 gm Pearle [9,00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9,1 IBU
1 Pkgs Budvar Lager (Wyeast Labs #2000) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Lager

OG 12,2P

I just brewed a Blueberry Honey Wheat yesterday.  I haven't added the blueberry or honey yet.  I'll add the honey to the primary once it starts fermenting.  Then I'll add the blueberries into the secondary.

This is the first time I've used BrewSmith to setup and record the recipe.

Kevin

Bock........first true lager, and only my 3rd non-ale (two hybrids).  Comments welcome on recipe.

Interesting that Tinseth says 24 (in style) and Rager says 30, (too high). 

I may try a decoction or boiling down the first gallon of run-off trick to increase the melanoidins.

thx

Attachments

• bock.bsm
    19.2 KB · Views: 1
Thought I would brew a beer this Saturday to commemorate the American people. I know a lot of controversy still surrounds this weekend but I thought I would take a different approach. Fully American themed ingredients.

Was going to do an American barleywine but want to drink this year.

Attachments

• AmericanCommemorationAle.bsm
    11.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm doing the same as my 1st try that came out good.
8 lbs Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb grain Crystal 40L
My homegrown hops I used about 2 Dixi Cups in the first batch (Mostly Cascade I think)
Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast by Fermentis
5 gal batch
I added hops at first boil and about :45 min later.
Hydrometer readings were acceptable on the first batch.
I may use 1/2 cup honey in place of priming sugar on this batch when ready to bottle.
Or has anyone tried Agave Nectar? Wholesome Sweeteners make it. 

I'm very New to this
Gary

I think that I am going to try and brew a pumpkin spice beer next with the thanksgiving holiday and the fall season coming into full swing. I have never tried this recipe yet, I am excited to see how it turns out!

Currently fermenting a Honey Amber and a Red Wheat.  Next is Orange Cranberry and Winter Ale. Mmmmm Beer.  I brew every 2 weeks.  :)

I said that I would be brewing a pumpkin beer for the holidays coming up and for the weather... Here is a recipe that I am considering from beerrecipes.org. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or any oppositions to what the ingredients are for this recipe, thanks!

Beer Style: fruit beer, pumpkin
Recipe Type: extract
Description:
I received this "recipe of the month" last week from a local homebrew supply store. I HAVE NOT tried it, so you are on your own.
Ingredients:

* 6 pounds, light Dried Malt Extract (or 2 cans light malt extract syrup)
    * 1--1/2 ounces, Mt. Hood Hop Pellets
    * 6 pounds, Pumpkin meat (2 small)
    * 1 teaspoon, Burton Water Salt

OG: 1.045 FG: 1.008
Procedure:
Peel and remove seeds from pumpkin and cook until soft. In a large pot, heat 1--1/2 gallons of water - add your malt, Mt. Hood Hops and cooked pumpkin meat and boil for 30 minutes. Add Burton Water Salt and 1 tsp. Irish Moss and boil for 15 minutes more. Add finishing hops and boil for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat. Strain hops and pumpkin meat. Add boiled wort to prepared fermentor -make up to 5--1/2 gallons. Add prepared Liquid Yeast. Ferment to SG 1030, transfer to Secondary Fermenter, add the spices (BE SURE NOT to add the spices until the secondary fermentation or you will lose the intensity of the spices). Finish fermenting. Prime with 3/4 cup corn sugar, bottle and age for 3 to 4 weeks or more.
(Submitted by: Kevin Dombroski to the website that I got this off of)

Burton salts accentuate hops.......not sure your intent with this pumpkin ale.

If you bake the pumpkin, I put brown sugar on the meat before baking and that was nice.

Spices can be added in last minutes.  The amounts are not listed, so it's hard to tell the impact.  You could always add some to boil, and more later to secondary if you think they are lacking.  Ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves.........whatever you like in pumpkin pie?

Have a London Brown busily boiling on the stove. Will start a Belgian Wit - Raspberry in about 3 weeks. 2 brews in a day? Wow, that's Heaven! ;D

MaltLickr I appreciate the suggestions. I am real new to the whole process so any ideas are appreciated. I will take a look at what we have and take your suggestions into consideration!

about to brew my very first batch, a christmas ale just in time for the holidays (hope it turnes out well enough to give as presents) wish me luck. cheers.

Brewing an amber/alt kind of hybrid of styles/ingredients today. Next up will be a stout brewed with buckwheat honey.

Back