This week I feature a trio of brewers with expertise in historic brewing techniques – including Chris Bowen, Dan Morey and Mike Tonsmeire. We cover a range of historic brewing topics including why we brew historic beers, traditional equipment, ingredients and various historic styles.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
- This week we focus on historic and ancient brewing techniques
- Guests include: Chris Bowen from Arctic Alchemy, Dan Morey (author of the Morey equation) at his personal website, and Michael Tonsmeire from the Mad Fermentationist.
- We discuss what historic brewing is and why we do it
- Historic equipment and how it was different from modern variants
- Spontaneous fermentation (using naturally occurring yeast)
- Ingredients used in historic beers including alternatives to hops and brewing from bread
- Tips for brewing historic beers
- Historic beers our guests have brewed
- Where people can find more information about historic brewing? Some other references include: Ron Pattison’s site, Marty Cornell’s site, Randy Mosher’s Lacambre site and Radical Brewing site, Babble Belt on spontaneous fermentation, Ron’s website on British and European Beer, and the books “Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers” by Stephen Buhner and “An Introduction to Old British Beers and How to Brew Them”, by Dr John Harrison
Thanks again to Chris, Dan and Michael for taking time out to participate in the podcast!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Arctic Alchemy with Chris Bowen – BSHB Podcast Episode 1
- Brewing on a Budget with Chris Graham – BSHB Podcast 19
- Making Mead with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast #65
- Brett and Sour Beer Brewing – BeerSmith Podcast #17
- Sour Beer Brewing with Michael Tonsmeire – BeerSmith Podcast #85
- Nanobrewing Beer with Michael Mraz – BeerSmith Podcast #57
- Chris White on Yeast and His New Book – BSHB Podcast #4
- Pro Beer Brewing Startup with Modern Times – BeerSmith Podcast #54
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now