From half a world away in Australia, Patrick Hollingdale is my guest for this week’s episode. We talk about the Brew-in-a-Bag (BIAB) all grain brewing technique that started in Australia but has become popular worldwide. BIAB lets an all grain brewer start with nothing more than a large pot and grain bag and brew a full all grain batch in a single vessel (the boiler).
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (35:15)
- This week my guest is Pat Hollingdale from BIABrewer.info – one of the early brewers who helped develop the BIAB technique in Australia.
- I talk briefly about the BeerSmith Blog – where you can find a lot of articles on home brewing including BIAB techniques
- We talk about home brewing in Australia which is incredibly popular – they are actually the #2 English speaking country for home brewing in terms of overall popularity
- Pat introduces BIAB brewing which involves doing the mash over heat in the main boiler using a full boil mash and then lautering with a simple grain bag.
- He talks about the equipment to get started – nothing more than a full boil pot (about 9 gallons for a 5 gallon batch) and a large polyester grain bag.
- We talk about the BIAB process
- Pat discusses the very high water to grain ratio used (essentially the full boil volume plus more is used for the mash) and how that does not necessarily hurt the efficiency of the mash or lead to off flavors.
- We talk about formulating a recipe for BIAB
- Pat discusses some of the advantages of BIAB – including lower cost of equipment (its all done from a single boiler) and less cleanup.
- I have a detailed article on BIAB brewing if you want to learn more and Pat mentions BIABrewer.info and the AussieHomeBrewer forum as two places to find more information
Thanks again to Pat Hollingdale for getting up early and agreeing to do the interview!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- First Wort Hops (FWH) in Beer Revisited
- Brew in a Bag (BIAB) All Grain Beer Brewing
- No Sparge Beer Brewing for All Grain Brewers
- Brew in a Bag (BIAB) Beer Brewing with BeerSmith Software
- Brew in a Bag (BIAB) with Jake Keeler – BeerSmith Podcast #77
- Hop Techniques for Beer with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast #67
- Batch Sparging with Denny Conn – BeerSmith Podcast 27
- Using a Hop Back for Homebrewed Beer
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now