Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
This Episode Sponsored by MoreBeer!
MoreBeer is the sponsor of this week’s episode. You can show your appreciation to them on your next order by using the special order links here at BeerSmith.com/MoreBeer – a portion of each order will go to support the BeerSmith sites, podcast, and newsletters.
Topics in This Week’s Episode (45:20)
- Randy Mosher is a graphical designer and beer brewing author who has a web site at RadicalBrewing.com and has written the books Radical Brewing and Tasting Beer (Amazon Aff Links). He is working on a new book for publication in the Fall of 2012 titled “The Handy Book of Homebrewing”.
- We start with the inspiration or “Big Idea” which Randy uses to drive his recipe design
- Randy walks through the basic process he uses to take his idea from concept to a completed recipe
- We talk about base malts and his preference of using base malts for color and flavor
- Randy explains how many specialty malt flavors are tied closely to the caramel, toast, roast and other flavors we perceive in the finished beer
- We talk about the role of hops and how Randy groups hops to help determine which ones are best for a given recipe
- Randy discusses his simple approach to finishing and dry hops
- We talk about yeast strain selection and how it affects things
- In “Radical Brewing”, Randy explores a wide variety of unusual ingredients and he talks a bit about when to bring these flavors into the beer
- We talk about keeping mash schedules simple, where possible, to create good beer
- Randy talks for a minute about other techniques that might come into play for recipe design
- Tasting beer is also important – and most award winning brewers also are beer judges or experts in tasting beer
- Randy spends a minute talking about his new book which will be out in the fall of 2012 called “The Handy Book of Homebrewing”
Thanks to Randy Mosher for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- India Pale Ale and Carrot Cake – BeerSmith Podcast #18
- Tasting Beer with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #89
- Brewing in Brazil with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast 45
- Malted Grains for Beer Brewing with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #81
- Mastering Homebrew with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #98
- Beer Brewing Q&A with John Palmer and Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #100
- Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher – Book Review
- Beyond Barley Brewing – BeerSmith Podcast #13
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now