This week we talk about American hop varieties and developing new hops. Al Haunold, a retired genetic engineer from USDA and Dave Wills from Freshops.com are my guests as we talk about how some of the most popular US hop varieties came about, how high alpha varieties are used now and how hops are grown.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (45:07)
- Al Haunold and Dave Wills are my guests for this week’s podcast. Al is a retired geneticist from the USDA who played a major role in the development of most of the modern American hop varieties including Cascade, Willamette and many others. He is joined by Dave Wills from Freshops.com who is a provider of bulk hops and also hop rhizomes.
- Al provides a summary of his career at USDA including some 30+ years of hop research and engineering hop varieties.
- Dave tells us how he worked with Al at USDA before moving over to the hop growing business.
- Al shares with us stories of how several of the most popular hops were created such as Cascade.
- Dave and Al share how a new hop plant goes from inception to commercialization – a process that can take up to 15-20 years
- We talk about how most modern hop varieties have a basis in traditional varieites.
- Al tells us a bit about Willamette and how it came about.
- Dave explains where the hop crisis of 2008 originated and how hop prices shot through the roof
- We talk about the large shift in commercial hop production towards high alpha hops and hop extract
- We end with a few tips for homebrewers
Thanks to Al Haunold and Dave Wills for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Growing Hops with Dave Wills – BeerSmith Podcast #15
- Growing Hops with Jason Perrault – BeerSmith Podcast 41
- Brewing Lagers with John Bolton, Dave Carpenter – BeerSmith Podcast #87
- New Hop Varieties with Nathan Smith – BeerSmith Podcast #93
- Homebrew Crisis: Where Have All The Brewing Hops Gone?
- Brewing India Pale Ale (IPAs) with Mitch Steele – BeerSmith Podcast #49
- Trends in Hops and Beer Brewing with Stan Hieronymus – BeerSmith Podcast #125
- Modern Times Brewery Follow Up – BeerSmith Podcast #68
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now