This week my guest is Michael Fairbrother from Moonlight Meadery. Michael is a national an international award winning mead maker who made the transition from making mead at home to professional only two years ago. Michael is going to share his tips on making great mead at home.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (39:31)
- Michael Fairbrother, head of Moonlight Meadery is my guest this week. Michael started making mead in 1995, and became an award winning mead maker at both the national and international level. He started his own full time meadery in his garage in 2010, and his business has grown dramatically to the point where he is on the verge of signing a national distribution agreement.
- Michael starts by explaining a bit about the history of mead and where the term “honeymoon” comes from.
- He tells us about some of the many variations of mead and what they are made from.
- Michael walks us through making a simple 5 gallon batch of mead at home
- We discuss honey varieties and where to find good honey for mead making
- Michael shares the additives he uses and how a split nutrient addition can greatly accelerate mead making
- We talk about which yeasts to use for mead making (actually its just one!)
- Michael tells us how to aerate your must, and when to stop to get the best fermentation
- We discuss the use of fruit in mead making and which fruits go best in mead
- Michael shares a bit of his story about his transition from home brewer to full time mead maker
- Finally, I’ll put in a plug – I’ve had his meads and they are outstanding. You can order them (no I don’t get a percentage) from Moonlight Meadery.
Thanks to Michael Fairbrother for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
You might also enjoy these articles:
- Making Mead with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast #65
- Mead Making with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast #88
- Making Mead with Curt Stock – BeerSmith Podcast 20
- Making Mead for Home Brewers
- Nanobrewing Beer with Michael Mraz – BeerSmith Podcast #57
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now