This week Michael Mraz joins me to talk about his new project starting a microbrewery. Mike is a nationally award winning home brewer who is now launching his own nano-brewery on a full time basis in El Dorado Hills, CA. We talk about some of the challenges a starting pro-brewer faces including setting up the business, getting the licenses and actually brewing the beer.
CHANGE: The opening for Michael’s New brewery has been pushed back to 1 May!
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (41:00)
- Michael Mraz from Mraz brewing Company is this week’s guest. Michael was twice California Homebrewer of the Year and has also won national home brewing awards. He joined us earlier in podcast 42 to discuss brewing sour beers.
- We start by talking about how Michael got the idea to start his own small brewery.
- We talk a bit about the business end of things – items such as writing a business plan, raising money and starting on a shoestring.
- Michael explains how he selected a location, negotiated the lease and put the partnership together.
- We talk about some of the harder pieces of pulling the facility and brewing equipment together.
- Michael talks about the challenges of starting a brewery while still holding a full time job
- We discuss beer – the types of beer he wants to brew and how he selected them as well as how he selected his equipment
- Michael discusses some of the challenges with purchasing supplies and finding ingredients
- He shares his thoughts on what will make his brewery unique and different
- Michael shares some closing thoughts on his experience to date
Thanks to Michael Mraz for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now