Michael Tonsmeire joins me to share some of his top pro beer brewing secrets. Michael provides 12 tips from the top brewers and shares his experience as an author and contributor to Modern Times brewery.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (53:36)
- Today my guest is Michael Tonsmeire, the author of the recent book “American Sour Beers” (Amazon affiliate link), beer designer for the “Modern Times” craft brewery, and author of the “Mad Fermentationist” blog at TheMadFermentationist.com. Michael has been on the show four times before, most recently in episode #85 discussing sour beers.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine who is still offering a 15% discount with your subscription or other items when you use the new offer code beersmith2015 when you purchase.
- Also check out the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are both available now and you can also find my BeerSmith software on CD or BeerSmith Mobile which great gifts for the New Year!
- Michael shares some of his recent projects and also his thoughts on his book American Sour Beers which was released last summer.
- We talk about his recent post Secrets of the Best Brewers which formed an outline for this particular podcast.
- Michael shares his first tip regarding judging and developing a beer palate
- Hs covers new flavor combinations for beer and also where he finds inspiration for new beers
- We discuss beer styles and their proper role in brewing, as well as why its important to brew a beer more than once
- Michael tells us about using natural ingredients, as well as the importance of balancing mash pH
- We talk about why its important to dump some bad beers, and why he strives to develop house strains of yeast
- Michael discusses finished beer flavor and the importance of eliminating oxidation
- We discuss how to serve beer at its peak and finally the importance of commercial beer marketing
Thanks to Michael Tonsmeire for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all 81 audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Sour Beer Brewing with Michael Tonsmeire – BeerSmith Podcast #85
- Embrace Homebrewing with Michael Tonsmeire – BeerSmith Podcast #124
- Brewing Sour Beers with Michael Dawson – BeerSmith Podcast #108
- Nano-Brewery Start Up with Michael Mraz – BeerSmith Podcast #97
- Beer Brewing Ingredients with Jake Keeler and Michael Dawson – BeerSmith Podcast #122
- Mead Making with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast #88
- Making Braggot – Mead and Barley with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast #138
- Melomel – Meads and Fruit with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast #119
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now