Chris Graham, the President of MoreBeer joins me this week to discuss methods for rapidly chilling your wort when home brewing beer. Chris discusses immersion chillers, counter-flow chillers and plate chillers and how rapidly cooling your wort can make better beer.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (40:33)
- Chris Graham, the President of MoreBeer, joins me this week to discuss chilling your wort. Chris is also an instructor at the prestigious Seibel Institute, and former AHA Governing Committee member.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine who is still offering a 15% discount with your subscription or other items when you use the new offer code beersmith2015 when you purchase.
- You can subscribe to the BeerSmith newsletter mentioned in the show here. Also check out BeerSmith, BeerSmith Mobile software and the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are available now.
- Chris shares some of his recent projects.
- We discuss chilling your wort when brewing beer including when to do it and why its important to chill your wort rapidly to improve clarity and flavor.
- Chris talks about how extract brewers often chill their wort including using chilled water additions and an ice bath.
- We also discuss some off the wall options like adding ice to your wort
- Chris covers immersion chillers which are the most popular option for home brewers
- We talk about how to build a two stage chiller which can be used if your cooling water is not cold enough to achieve your fermentation temperature
- Chris explains what a counter-flow chiller is and how to use it
- We discuss the plate chiller and how it is used
- Chris tells us why many professional brewers often use plate or counter-flow chillers
- He shares his thoughts on “no chill” brewing where you don’t chill the wort but store it in a sterile container such as a plastic cube while it slowly chills
- Chris finishes with a discussion of some of the new things going on at MoreBeer
Thanks to Chris Graham for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all 81 audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- All Grain Beer Brewing Equipment with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #140
- Immersion, Plate and Counterflow Chillers for Home Brewed Beer
- Kegging your Home Brewed Beer with Chris Graham- BeerSmith Podcast #79
- Beer Fermentation with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #91
- Yeast with Dr Chris White from White Labs – BeerSmith Podcast #86
- Bohemian Pilsner Beer Brewing with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #99
- Czech Lagers with Chris Lohring – BeerSmith Podcast #113
- Unlocking the Genetic Code of Brewing Yeast with Chris White – BeerSmith Podcast #131
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now