John Palmer joins me this week to discuss beer brewing yeast, the yeast life cycle and his upcoming new edition of “How to Brew” in a show recorded from the Homebrew Con 2016 show floor in Baltimore.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (38:55)
- Today on the show I welcome John Palmer, the author of How to Brew, Water and Brewing Classic Styles (Full Disclosure: Amazon Affiliate Links). John joins me on the show floor of Homebrew Con 2016 to discuss brewing yeast and the yeast life cycle.
- We discuss John’s ongoing update to develop the “How to Brew” fourth edition of the book, which is planned for release next year, including John’s plans to update the book to take into account changes over hte last 10 years.
- We start with an overview of the life cycle of a yeast cell and the stages of activity involved.
- John explains the adaptive stage which is the first stage yeast enter when you pitch htem into your wort.
- We talk about fatty acids and sterols and the role they play in yeast growth.
- John explains the reproduction stage and what’s happening here.
- He discusses his “sheep” analogy for pitching the right amount of yeast for a particular beer.
- We explore what happens when you underpitch your yeast (or overpitch)
- John talks about the role that oxygen plays in yeast development and also several methods for achieving proper aeration.
- Temperature also plays a key role in yeast growth and fermentation, particularly in the early phases – and we explore that
- John shares his thoughts on the hibernation stage and storing yeast.
- We talk about flocculation, the falling out of yeast, and how it can be managed.
- John shares his closing thoughts on working with yeast.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine for sponsoring this episode. I encourage you to subscribe to their great magazine!
- And also Anvil Brewing Equipment. Anvil is a new line of kettles, burners and accessories from John Blichmann at Blichmann Engineering. They make top quality brewing equipment built to last a lifetime.
- Also check out BeerSmith, BeerSmith Mobile software and the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are available now. You can subscribe to the BeerSmith newsletter for free to get some great articles on home brewing.
Thanks to John Palmer for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
- Audio podcast on Google Play here
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Five Tips for Beer Brewers from John Palmer – BeerSmith Podcast #82
- German Wheat Beer with John Palmer – BeerSmith Podcast #116
- Experimental Home Brewing with Drew Beechum – BeerSmith Podcast #136
- Beer Brewing Q&A with John Palmer and Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #100
- Brewing High Gravity Beers with John Blichmann – BeerSmith Podcast #117
- Unlocking the Genetic Code of Brewing Yeast with Chris White – BeerSmith Podcast #131
- Jays Brewing with Thomas Boman – BeerSmith Podcast #126
- Wood and Beer with Peter Bouckaert – BeerSmith Podcast #127
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now