Randy Mosher, the author of Radical Brewing and Mastering Homebrew joins me this week to discuss tasting beer, beer aroma, judging beer and also his upcoming book. Its another great episode with one of home brewing’s masters!
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (46:17)
- Randy Mosher the author of Radical Brewing, Tasting Beer and the upcoming book Mastering Homebrew (all Amazon Affiliate links) joins me to discuss beer tasting, beer self-awareness, judging beer, aroma, flavors and much more. Randy also gives us a sneak peek at his new homebrew book.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine who is still offering a 20% discount with your subscription when you use the offer code beersmith when you purchase.
- Randy shares some of his recent events including a trip to Belgium.
- We start with what Randy describes as “beer as a path to self-awareness” and the voices inside of Randy’s head
- Randy explains how to properly go about judging a beer from scratch
- We discuss some of the key factors in judging beer aroma, taste and flavor
- Randy explains how beer flavor and aroma are closely linked
- We talk about how limited our vocabulary is when it comes to aromas and even certain flavors in beer
- Randy shares some tips on ways to improve your beer judging skills
- He shares some resources where you can learn more about beer judging and tasting including the BJCP web site and Randy’s tasting book linked above
- We spend a few minutes discussing Randy’s upcoming book Mastering Homebrew (Amazon affiliate link) which approaches brewing and recipe design from a flavor perspective. I believe this book will become a classic as soon as it is released.
- Randy shares his closing thoughts on judging beer
Thanks to Randy Mosher for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all 81 audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Sensory Evaluation of Beer with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #146
- Mastering Homebrew with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #98
- Malted Grains for Beer Brewing with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #81
- Beer Brewing Q&A with John Palmer and Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #100
- Historical Beer Myths with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #115
- India Pale Ale and Carrot Cake – BeerSmith Podcast #18
- Designing Beer with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast 30
- Brewing in Brazil with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast 45
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now